Randall Reeves

Approaching Tasmania–Video

4 Apr

April 5, 2018

Hobart, Tasmania

In the following video, it’s March 17th. As the sun sets, Mo and I have fewer than 80 miles to Tasmania. It’s been a month since the knockdown that is requiring this stopover, and now we’re racing another large low-pressure system. I can see it coming. Will we beat it to South East Cape? …

(P.S. Go to the next day’s post, South East Cape, to see how the approach turned out.)

...

Read More

Water in the Engine–Video

2 Apr

April 2, 2018

Hobart, Tasmania

It’s March 13. We’re a week from Hobart–if I can keep Mo moving. But at latitude 44S, we’re encountering light winds. I decide to motor, but five minutes after I start the engine, it dies.

Great, what now? …

(Spoiler: my sincerest thanks to Gerd Marggraff for helping me get the engine going again. I read all the pertinent parts of my Calder book, but Gerd’s experience and expertize turned out to be the more valuable.)

 

...

Read More

Baking Fresh Bread on a Voyaging Boat

31 Mar

March 31, 2018

Hobart, Tasmania

One can fret over (and clean up after) a knockdown for only so long before life insists on returning to normal, even in the Southern Ocean. It’s March 8 in the following video. I’ve got 1,513 miles between me and Hobart, and I’m hungry for fresh-baked bread. The weather is stable and warm here at 44S…so have at…

...

Read More

Red Lid–Video

29 Mar

March 29, 2018

I shot the following video on March 4th, two weeks after the knockdowns previously discussed. It’s day 110 of the Figure 8 Voyage, day 50 of this leg, and by now I’ve decided to put into Hobart, Tasmania, for repairs. The race is on. If I can make the remaining 2058 miles by March 19th, I get to see my wife.

Then I find this strange red lid wedged behind the stove…

 

...

Read More

Results of the Knockdown, a deeper dive

27 Mar

March 27, 2018

The previous post told the story of the knockdown that has put us into Hobart. As companion to that post, below are three short video tours. One takes you through the damage in the pilot house, the next offers a look at the rail, and the third complains of salt water’s effect on paper. All of these were shot during the fine weather we had directly after the gale.

...

Read More

Knockdown in the Indian Ocean–The Story in Video and Photos

26 Mar

March 25, 2018

What follows is the video story of the Indian Ocean knockdowns that bent Moli’s starboard rail and shattered her pilothouse window. The gale that precipitated the knockdowns occurred between the Crozets and Kerguelen Islands at latitude 46 south on February 18, 2018. A written report sent-in the day after via the Garmin InReach can be found here.

The video was recorded three days after the incident, by which time Mo and I had mostly recovered. The weather had turned fair; we were back underway and making fast easting. That said, nearly all the electronics remained offline, ...

Read More

Hobart

23 Mar

March 22, 2018

Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania

Tony had recommended staying at anchor a second day before completing the 40 mile leap to Hobart, but he hadn’t said why.

First light next morning revealed an open sky and Mo floating motionless on a surface made of glass. From our berth at Lady Bay, it appeared the low we’d been racing this last two weeks had blown through, the only contrary voice being the barometer, still stuck at 994.

I weighed and was underway before 7am.

Mo made quick work of D’Entrecasteaux Channel, passing the large Marine Farms, scooting by ...

Read More

South East Cape

21 Mar

 

March 21, 2018

Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania, Hobart

All day we ride due east on brisk northwesterlies, which Mo takes beam-on with double reefs. Hour after hour she froths the aa, giving off a sense of intention, as if she too understands the urgency. Tony has made it clear we are racing a large and strong low pressure system–“Westerlies to 45 knots and up; at your current rate, you are five hours ahead;” and later “given your progress, you should be under Tasmania’s South East Cape two hours before the weather turns.”

And what Tony did not say, ...

Read More

On our Ear

19 Mar

Day: 122

Noon Position: 43 44S. 140 25E

Course/Speed: E6

Wind: NE15

Bar: 1014 (dropping steadily from 1020)

Sky: Overcast Sea: SW10 (long, slow rollers); NE3

Cabin Temp: 64

Water Temp: 56

Miles last 24 hours: 167

Longitude Made Good: 136

Total Miles: 16,956

Miles to Hobart: 353

Wind light but due east overnight. Slow going. The engine purred as we pounded, but our progress toward the goal of 150 miles a day suffered. 136 was the best I could do.

Today winds have gone into NE at 15 to 20 and have flirted with the NNE. Now we are ...

Read More

Pushing

18 Mar

Hi Virtual Voyagers! As you can see from the fact that we have an image to share, Moli and Randall have made it to an anchorage and within cell phone range. It was a rough and challenging sail into safe harbor (the photo was from last night’s shenanigans). This means getting rested, clean and checked into Hobart/Australia will take priority over writing posts. Plus Jo will be there in a day or so to add to the distraction. We have a couple more posts from the last days to share but if we go quiet a bit we hope you ...

Read More

More from the AIM Marine Group