Noon Position: 68 48N 114 43W
Course(t)/Speed(kts): N 4
Sail: Under power; main 1 reef
Miles since departure: 34,688
Winds are finally diminishing, but out in Dolphin and Union the short, stocky sea is still pushing Mo around. Not going to be fast for a while yet.
I remember the point during the 2014 Northwest Passage when I’d had enough, enough engine racket, enough of being stuck in a cabin that was either too cold or too hot, enough of the what-if-we-dont-make-it-then-what worry. That point was three days after Tuk on the 1000 ...
Wind: NW15-20 Sky: Low and squally with SNOW 6am Temperatures– On Deck: 37 Cabin: 45 (before I fired up the heater) Water: 39
It’s too warm to stick, but that it’s falling at all I take as a sign. In the Arctic, the dog days of summer portend winter; autumn is coming quickly, and I’m but half way through the Northwest Passage. Half way and still pinned down by contrary winds in Bernard Harbor.
Where I live at the moment, inside the boat a quarter mile S of North Star Point, is comfortable enough, but within ...
One of the first steps to prepare your boat for heavy winds, is to double up on your lines. A dock line has three points of potential failure.
The line can chafe and fail.
The boat cleat can fail.
The dock cleat can fail.
Adding a second line on top of your primary dock line does NOT double your security. If you have your back up line attached to the same strong points on the boat and the dock, then the only one of the three failure points that you have covered is the potential chafe failure, you have not ...
Dorian is powered up and perilously close, but while the forecasting is better than ever — based almost entirely on massive data collection and modeling by NOAA — the meteorologists are still quite uncertain about the hurricane’s path. I’m thinking a lot about folks in the Abacos and in the vast areas that might be struck next, but, sorry, I’m also remembering how I managed to use Chuck Berry and Muhammad Ali in the opening paragraph of a July 2003 SAIL magazine article about visiting the National Hurricane Center in Miami.
Wind: WNW20+ Sky: Low and squally with some pea-sized hail 6am Temperatures– On Deck: 37 Cabin: 43 (before I fired up the heater) Water: 40 (this is up from 33 degrees in Dolphin and Union)
The title of today’s report was going to be, “Images of a DEW Line Station,” but all day it has been blowing a three-quarter gale from the NW. Ragged cloud, rain and hail. Mo is pulling at her leash like a dog that’s not been walked in a week, and I don’t dare leave for the required hike inland to the abandoned ...
Sirius Signal just announced a super bright red-orange/cyan electronic Visual Distress Signal Device (eVDSD) that promises to be vastly more effective than the current white light models, especially in coastal areas with shore lights in the background. The new model C-1002 SOS device also includes a Bluetooth app for testing, maintenance, and much more. Note, however, that the C-1002 won’t be available until next year and its advanced technology will necessitate a premium price.
Additionally, Sirius has developed an improved version of its original C-1001 white eVDSD (2015 Panbo review here), and the company is taking over distribution ...
Aug 28, 2019 Dolphin and Union Strait Total Miles: 34,658 Days at Sea: 272 Days since Departure: 333
We depart in the early morning from Disappointment Harbor for … for where? I’m not sure.
I want to stage for a leap into Dolphin and Union Strait in the forecasted lighter winds of the next day, but where to wait in the interim is unclear. Fifty-four miles from Disappointment, I choose a divot in the headland behind Lady Franklin Point. Nothing fancy; just a place to hide for a few hours.
Winds on final approach are 25 on the nose. Anchor ...
August 27, 2019 Coronation Gulf Total Miles: 34,600 Days at Sea: 271 Days since Departure: 333
Winds are on the nose all day but at not more than ten knots. What slows us is the rolling chop from higher winds further W. Still, I can’t complain. By late afternoon, we’ve come abreast of the Richardson Islands, which decorate the northeastern corner of Coronation Gulf.
There are but two known anchorages in this island group, and neither looks appealing. But the next stop is a full ten hours further on. So, I decide to do a bit of exploring.
August 26, 2019 Total Miles: 34,464 Days at Sea: 269 Days since Departure: 331
The forecast calls for SW20, but the wind is highly dynamic all day, light to the Finlayson Islands, strong enough and far enough S thereafter to sail close hauled for a few hours, then light again as the day waned.
In the night and as we made approach to Byron Bay, a large thunderhead formed in the SW. It poured so much rain that the water top turned white. Mo got a drencher for ten minutes and then had to claw through very stiff SW winds ...
Sunday morning. I am kick-the-dog frustrated. Wind is still hard and cold from the SW, day after day, relentlessly the wrong way, pinning us down in Cambridge Bay. And it is the same for as far out as the forecasts care to predict. How can we get home in such a wind?
From the cockpit, I can see a lone wooden platform on the beach near the tank farm, the cradle in which this boat stood the winter of 2014/15, now old and gray as driftwood. It’s a sign, I think, inviting Mo’s return. ...