The Epoxy Allergy and How to Avoid It

6 Mar

The Epoxy Allergy, more specifically allergic dermatitis, is the curse of the marine industry: The few who develop it are marked for life, never to come near epoxy again. The rest of us can go on working with these wonderful products with impunity. The key concept is that the allergy is developed over time. One is not born with it, as with many other allergies.

In New Zealand, during a 100-day blister and bottom job, my friend Ian developed the allergy as we went. We worked away, day after day, filling ground-out blisters with epoxy and fiberglass mat, rolling out the bubbles with ridged metal rollers. The boat being above us, much epoxy dripped down on us. One day Ian felt sick and had some swelling. We wrote it off to a cold or flu. Then a week later a big gob of thickened epoxy fell on his cheek. We cleaned it off (I think with acetone…eh gads) and within a few hours he looked like the Elephant Man, with one eye completely swollen shut for a week. Ian had to stand 100 yards away for the rest of the project if we were working with epoxy, and can’t go anywhere near the stuff for the rest of his life.

It turns out that cleaning it off with acetone was the worst thing we could have done. This puts the epoxy mixture in suspension in a solvent that is easily absorbed into the skin. If you get epoxy on your bare skin, just wash it with soap and water. Vinegar is also supposed to be good. Letting it dry and peeling it off later is preferable to using solvent.

Some people can develop the allergy after just a few contacts, but for most it takes months or years of exposure.

A few tips for working with epoxy:

1. Wear vinyl gloves (not latex)…always!
2. Wear a protective suit, or at least long sleeves, and tuck your sleeves into your gloves. No matter how careful you plan to be, you’ll somehow get it on your wrists or arms, even if you’re wearing gloves.
3. Never clean epoxy from your skin with solvent.
4. The thinner the epoxy, the worse it is for causing the allergy. Just as cleaning it with acetone puts it into an easily-absorbed suspension, epoxy-based paints, thinned epoxy, and penetrating epoxy are more easily-absorbed into the skin.
5. It’s the hardener, not the epoxy. The allergens for most people are in the hardeners (part B), not the epoxy base (part A). You’ll seldom have one without the other, but something to keep in mind.
6. Epoxy is generally considered safe to use without a respirator in a well-ventilated area. If you’re going to be in an enclosed area, wear a respirator, as the concentrated vapors can cause irritation to the respiratory tract and eyelids (and hasten your road to developing the allergy).
7. Epoxy dust, from sanding, can be especially insidious. We often refer to epoxy being “green,” as in dried, but not completely cured. Full curing can take as long as a week, and during this time the epoxy dust still contains some of the same volatile compounds as wet epoxy. If you must sand green epoxy, wear a respirator and eye protection.

Epoxy products are ubiquitous in the boating world, and they should be. They’re strong, versatile, easy to work with, resistant to chemicals, and create a barrier to moisture. Take a few very basic precautions, don’t ever clean it off with solvent, and you’ll have a lifetime of ahead of you in the wonderful world of epoxy. Blow it, develop the allergy, and you are forever banished!

This article was syndicated from The Adventures of the Vessel Condesa


  1. Erik Vinson

    ALAS!! Rule # 1 is what’s kicking my butt!! I was wearing gloves…but…latex gloves! That’s why I itch like a dry cactus and swell up like a mad blowfish!! This is informative! Thanks!

  2. Brent Fisher

    Thanks for the tip. This confirms my suspicion that cleaning off the epoxy with 90% rubbing alcohol was making my face break out. I also had a time when I ate 8 peanut butter cups one day and turned into a zombie with the flesh rotting off of my body then I realized that the day before that I ate 10 peanut butter cups. So 18 peanut butter cups in 2 days is bad news. Also SuperGlue gives me a cold. I wish there was a website where I could broadcast my medical history for all the world to see so I could protest the stupid privacy laws. I don’t care is Adolph Hitler knew that I had an allergy to Epoxy, SuperGlue, and Peanut Butter. Humanity needs to grow up.

  3. Austin

    Very helpful. I work in commercial tile and used epoxy grout every day. It only took me 2 months to develop the allergy.. rashes all over hands and arms.
    It can happen fast depending on type of epoxy and duration of exposure

  4. Jacqui dingmann

    This was very informative. Thanks
    How will I know I’ve purchased a good respirator?

  5. Clark Beek

    Hi Gloria, As far as commonly-available stuff it’s either epoxy or polyester resin. Of the two, polyester is nastier, and you need to wear a respirator. Epoxy is okay without a respirator in a well-ventilated area, but the allergy…

    There are polyurethane and silicone resins, which you should look into. I’ve never come across either in the marine industry, and don’t know anything about costs, allergies, toxicity…

  6. Gloria J

    I started working with resin about a year ago. For small art projects. Last week I have a reaction on my arms, eyes and severe sneezing. I’m almost sure it is due to the resin. Do any of you know of a product, similar to resin, that does not cause allergies? Since this was a severe reaction, I’m afreid I will not be able to use it again. Very sad because I was creating some very interesting objects

  7. Diane

    I have never worked with epoxy however 10 years ago I started wearing glasses and they made my eyes swelled shut and my nose turned red. I had a patch test done for allergies and I’m allergic to epoxy which is in most plastics. I’ve tried many different frame types, always had some sort of reaction. Since my vision wasn’t that bad I managed ok without glasses until recently when cataracts have made it difficult. Surgery has been approved but now I need to research if the acrylic lens will cause a reaction. The doctors say that they are tolerated well by most people… Duh, they don’t understand that I am not like most people!

  8. chris

    my name is Christian motkowski from Washington state. I have been installing epoxy terrazzo flooring for 7 years and living with these on and off symptoms. I wish there was some sort of remedy other than quit my job. the symptoms have changed over time as well. what started as swollen eyes and arm rashes has turned to swollen fingertips and hives on my fingertips.

  9. Ray Macke

    It is not just direct contact. Some of us have a reaction to the fumes. Even 2 years after completing my boat I could not spend the night in the cabin with all the hatches closed without breaking out. I have found with massive amounts ventilation (big fans blowing fresh air) and an organic respirator I can reduce affects to a tolerable amount. I truly have a love/hate relationship with the stuff.

  10. Daniel J Irwin, CPA

    I used WEST epoxy to coat the inside and outside of a Thistle during the 70’s. I haven’t used it regularly for decades and I still have the allergic response to it. It never goes away.

  11. David

    As a retired firefighter who was also on the haz mat team we often wore a level B PPE, usually a one piece tyvec suit, and we used duct tape to seal the gloves to the suit.
    This will keep the epoxy off your wrists and arms.

  12. dbc

    This is the same problem homebuilt aircraft builders discovered 30 years ago while building glass and epoxy planes ( Rutan Varizes, LongEzies, etc).

  13. marlin bree

    Good article, but a little late for me. I became sensitive to epoxy a long time ago when I built my wood veneer / epoxy boat Persistence (See books: Broken Seas, Wake of the Green Storm) and I have been extremely careful near the stuff ever since. Good news: I did see a dermatologist and got some cream to put on the epoxy-blistered areas and that did help. I now almost arm myself as if going into battle with double vinyl gloves, sleeves and shopcoat as well as cap and glasses. It all seems to be working and I have come back mostly. But mostly I am very careful around epoxy.

  14. Ian

    This is Ian, the friend mentioned in the article above. Be careful around epoxy –
    15 years after the incident described above I still cannot be near uncured epoxy. I now work in the construction industry as a PM. About a month ago I was inspecting a tile installation and wouldn’t you know it, epoxy grout is becoming the industry standard for hospitality tile installs. I discovered this after I poked at some loose grout and about an hour later my face broke out in hives and swelled up. Just one small finger poke into a grout joint was all it took. Wish I knew then what I know now… I’m looking for an aluminum boat.

Comments are closed.

More from the AIM Marine Group