Boat Life is Still Just Life

8 Feb

(Jan. 25) Went to the marine store today. Picked up stuff for a whole bunch of projects that I’m sure to not have time for. Bought a bunch of oil too. I wish while I was in the States and had access to buying this sort of thing at retail I would have figured out a way to carry a fifty gallon drum onboard. Oil is too damn expensive. That and caulk. Retail price about six bucks a tube, Mexico price twenty-five. But of course this is why people go so crazy buying crap before cruising south and then later realize they didn’t need half of it, thus throwing away all the money they thought they were saving in the first place.


Tonight my computer blew up again. I don’t know what the heck happened really, but all of a sudden it shut down and wouldn’t boot back up again. I did all the techy stuff and found some sort of Journaling error that according to many, many google searches has only been known to be solved by either doing some crazy coding stuff that I couldn’t begin to understand, or by buying this hundred dollar program that would solve it in one click. Okay, fine, if I lived in the States. But I don’t so I’m screwed again.

(Jan. 26) I had the starter battery tested today and it checked out just fine. Which leaves me kind of in the dark as to why it wasn’t able to start the engine the other day on its own. For now I’ve hooked it back up while I continue to troubleshoot this whole big mess.

The biggest mess being that the new alternator isn’t charging and I haven’t the foggiest idea why. I mean it’s only one wire, it’s not like I could mess that up. Nothing ever really gets finished on this boat.


Ouest and I were at Home Depot today. When we were leaving I put her in the car, turned around, and there was my welder standing three feet away. “I was going to go see you. Yadda, yadda…” He didn’t seem the least bit surprised to run into me in the HD parking lot at nine in the morning and just talked as if we had planned to meet there to discuss tubing diameters. He’s building the davits for a little under a thousand bucks but he was going to stop by to ask me today if it was all right to use a thicker tubing that would cost thirty dollars more. That’s only three percent over his quote. I already liked Salvadore, but now I trust him too.

At Wal-Mart today we bought out their Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. Thirteen jars in total. And we feel like we totally scored.


(Jan. 27) Took off the davits and the lifeline pulpit at the back of the cockpit today. The boat looks so nice and tidy like that. Too bad we can’t leave it alone.

Also went to the pool and went for an evening walk. That’s our entire day.


(Jan. 29 ) Ouest has changed so much in just the past week or two that Ali and I can hardly believe it. Ali looked at her tonight and said, “It’s sad.”

What’s sad?

“She’s growing up.”

First off there is the little girl underwear. Underwear! We went all day long today without an accident. She’s really got this figured out now and is doing a great job of telling us when she has to go, as opposed to us asking her every three minutes. Although when we do ask her it is sort of funny. “Ouest, do you have to go potty?” A little crease forms between her eyes as she contemplates the question. “Mmmm, no.” Three minutes later same question. “ Same crease between the eyes, “Yap.”

That’s Yap. Not yes, not yup, not yep. Yap.

Then there is her playing by herself. All of the sudden she is totally cool with that. She especially likes to play with her cars. She lines them all up like they are in a parking lot, then moves them one or two at a time to the other side of the room and does it again. Or out on deck they get parked underneath the lifeline netting. It’s all very deliberately done, and also done with amazing regularity these days. Tonight we were on the beach and she was off in her own little world shoveling sand into one bucket and transferring that to another bucket. That’s when Ali said it was sad. She also turned to Lowe and told him he needs to grow up a bit so they can start playing together.

And while she is still a ways behind on the talking front she has taken up singing. She sings to herself all day long. “Morrow, morrow, love you, morrow.” Good ol’ Annie.

Oh, and her swimming. She does these swan dive belly flops all day long now. It seems she spends half her time at the pool with her head under water. She’s practicing floating on her back now too. Without any prodding from us. Good fun.

Then there is Lowe. He is inching ever so close to crawling. He can already get wherever he wants to go by rolling, but now he’s starting to push too. Roll, push, grunt, roll, push, get tired and plop face down into the floor, roll, push. Getting closer to sitting up unassisted too. Looks as if he’s going to have a big couple of weeks coming up.

On the boat front it’s slow going. Nap times aren’t coinciding very well these days meaning that it seems someone is always either asleep or in the midst of being put to sleep. And when they are up there is always a million things to do with them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, just stating the simple fact that the kids come first and boat work takes a back seat. Way back.




(Jan. 31) With this boat and these two kids I’m coming to the realization that sometimes it is just easier to pay somebody to show up, perform their specialty, and leave. As opposed to me diving into the project without a clue, taking the bus to the store, coming back, realizing I have the wrong part, taking the bus again the next day, working, getting stumped, spending the night on Google, making one more trip to the store, working, thinking I “might” have it fixed, and calling it done.

Today I brought in a refrigeration guy. For forty-five bucks he filled the refrigerant on the AC system, found a leaky valve, replaced it, and best of all showed me every step along the way. He’ll be back in a couple of days to do the engine-driven refrigerator. Money well spent.

Fridge Repairs




More from the AIM Marine Group