Andy & Mia

Isbjorn Offshore: A Quick Turnaround in Lunenburg

11 Jul

Lance waves goodbye to Isbjorn on arrival in Lunenburg!

Lance waves goodbye to Isbjorn on arrival in Lunenburg!

Isbjorn finally made landfall in Lunenburg on late Saturday night, following 36 hours of beating into 25 knots of wind. It was a tiring end to what was an eventful passage, and the crew was happy to arrive in Lunenburg, even if it was dark outside.

I had flown up on Saturday morning from Boston. Despite waking early to catch my 9am flight, I felt markedly better than I had in the three days previously since my appendectomy last Tuesday. I was starting to get nervous that I wasn’t healing, but ...

Read More

PHOTOS: ’16 Leg 6: Annapolis to Lunenburg

10 Jul

P7091415.jpg

The first trip for the summer and the start of our sailing up to Canada started in Annapolis. We had a great departure and sail up the Chesapeake and was out in the open ocean before we knew it. Th trip took an unexpected turn though when Andy started to feel stomach pain and the crew diverted to Newport. Andy had a quick appendicitis surgery and stayed ashore to fly up and meet the crew in Lunenburg. Andy’s dad Dennis came up and captained Isbjorn up to Lunenburg, Canada.


2016 Leg 6: Annapolis to Lunenburg


DSC06626.jpg


IMG_0574.jpg


DSC06632.jpg


IMG_0576.jpg


IMG_0582.jpg


IMG_0590.jpg


IMG_0598.jpg


IMG_0602.jpg


DSC06638.jpg


DSC06644.jpg


P7021289.jpg


DSC06646.jpg


P7021309.jpg


DSC06653.jpg


DSC06651.jpg


DSC06657.jpg


DSC06660.jpg


IMG_0695.jpg


DSC06663.jpg


DSC06671.jpg


DSC06675.jpg


DSC06682.jpg


DSC06692.jpg


DSC06703.jpg


DSC06705.jpg


DSC06706.jpg


IMG_9361.jpg


IMG_0723.jpg


IMG_0838.jpg


IMG_9367.jpg


IMG_1908 3.jpg


IMG_1879 3.jpg


IMG_1885 3.jpg


IMG_0781.jpg


DSC06672.jpg


IMG_0765.jpg


DSC06691.jpg


DSC06693.jpg


DSC06722.jpg


DSC06733.jpg


DSC06737.jpg


DSC06743.jpg


DSC06757.jpg


DSC06758.jpg


DSC06765.jpg


DSC06694.jpg


IMGP6551.jpg


IMG_0817.jpg


IMG_0858.jpg


IMG_0862.jpg


P7071397.jpg


P7091415.jpg


P7091417.jpg


P7091426.jpg


P7091427.jpg


P7091431.jpg


IMGP6556.jpg

Write here…...

Read More

Isbjorn Offshore: Upwind to Lunenburg

8 Jul

Isbjorn's latest position as of 4pm Friday. You can see the kink in their course thanks to the new NE'ly wind that sprung up earlier this afternoon.

Isbjorn’s latest position as of 4pm Friday. You can see the kink in their course thanks to the new NE’ly wind that sprung up earlier this afternoon.

While I’ve been recovering from my recent appendectomy at my cousin’s house outside Boston (it was cupcake baking day with the kids!), Mia, Liz, Dennis & the gang on Isbjorn have been having a chilly and foggy ride north from Newport. I’ve been in semi-regular contact with them since they departed Tuesday morning, sending and receiving a few short messages per day via the YB Tracker we keep onboard.

It was spinnaker sailing ...

Read More

Offshore Medical Emergency: Dealing with Appendicitis 90 Miles Out

7 Jul

Andy getting wheeled from the ambulance into the ER at Newport Hospital at 0500 Tuesday July 5.

Andy getting wheeled from the ambulance into the ER at Newport Hospital at 0500 Tuesday July 5.

About 48 hours has passed since my appendectomy. I’m sitting at my cousin Dan’s kitchen table in North Andover, about 20 miles from Boston, writing this while I spend a few days here recovering. Isbjorn is back at sea, having departed Newport yesterday morning around 0800, about the same time I jumped in the car to drive the two hours north to here.

I’m stiff. I’m sore. I haven’t had a good poop since Sunday morning. I’m bored. I’ve watched more TV than ...

Read More

Weather Forecast for Lunenburg Departure

1 Jul

The Leg 6 crew has arrived and we’re about 18 hours from departure! It’s thunderstorming in Annapolis right now, so it’s nice to be at the dock, but the weather offshore looks like we’ll get a mix of everything. Here’s the latest from our partners at WRI, below.

Like what you see? Contact WRI to get customized forecasts for your own trips!


To: Captain, Isbjorn
Prepared: July 01 21:31z
FM: WEATHER ROUTING INC. (WRI)

Synopsis: Low pressure over sw’rn Quebec with a cold front from the w’rn Gulf
of Maine sw’ward to ne’rn North Carolina tomorrow morning will move ...

Read More

Who Sails ARC DelMarVa & Why?

24 Jun

Family boats. Fathers & sons. Friends. Folks out for a weeklong summer adventure, and those looking to go further afield. Lots of people join ARC DelMarVa and for lots of different reasons. Here’s a few of the 2016 fleet’s stories.

SuChing – Tayana 55

SuChing is the largest yacht in this year’s ARC DelMarVa fleet. At 55 feet, she dwarfs many of the other boats. 

SuChing’s owner Susan bought the boat new from the factory in Taiwan where she was originally built. Susan was aboard for part of the voyage back to the US with her first husband, so has ...

Read More

ARC DelMarVa Fleet Headed Offshore

22 Jun

Sojourner departs Portsmouth in the pre-dawn darkness, bound offshore for Cape May.

Sojourner departs Portsmouth in the pre-dawn darkness, bound offshore for Cape May.

It was a nighttime mission for the ARC DelMarVa fleet leaving the dock this morning. Just before the dawn, 22 boats of the 24 boat fleet fired up their diesels and prepared to cast off the dock lines to head out on this, the most exciting leg of the ARC DelMarVa. As of 0830 Wednesday morning, the fleet is strung-out at the mouth of the Chesapeake, poised to head through the Bay Bridge-Tunnel and out into the Atlantic. Scarecrow made their arrival into Cape May early today after ...

Read More

ARC DelMarVa: Understanding Frontal Weather & Planning a Passage

21 Jun

“Based on the forecast, the best window for vessels to depart will be to leave in the early morning hours, near 0300-0400 EDT on the 22nd. This will allow for the best timing between fronts, and to arrive in Cape May on the 23rd before the next front. It will be important for vessels to motor (if needed) to maintain speed in order to arrive in Cape May by midday or so on the 23rd, as the next front with more showers/squalls moves through in the evening.”

That was the advice from our weather forecasters WRI late yesterday afternoon, and ...

Read More

ARC DelMarVa Leg 2 (Offshore) Delayed ‘Til Wednesday

20 Jun

With a series of cold fronts marching across the US midwest, Rally Control has decided to delay the start of Leg 2, the offshore leg from Portsmouth, VA to Cape May, NJ until the wee hours of Wednesday morning June 22. Rally forecasters WRI had this to say about the forecast:

“Due to the fronts, expect periods of gusty SW’ly winds for all zones the next few days. For Grid B, expect enhanced SW’ly winds for the 21st, veering on the morning of the 22nd before briefly backing later in the day, and continuing from the SW later in the ...

Read More

More from the AIM Marine Group