The latest missive from Eastern Yacht Club, Marblehead—
Update on EYC Fire
Posted On: June 13, 2014
Dear Eastern Members,
The initial evaluation seems to appear that the fire damage is not as severe as first thought. Fortunately, there was no personal injury. Paintings, models and artifacts are intact and are being evaluated.
We have convened a team to begin the process of cleaning, restoring and re-establishing our resources.
The waterfront and pool facilities will remain open. The Clubhouse is closed until further notice.
According to reports, the first broke out after midnight, probably in the attic, and was contained about two and one half hours later. The following is taken from the Eastern Yacht Club web site—
In 1870, twelve Boston gentlemen organized themselves as the Eastern Yacht Club, a club dedicated to the promotion of yachting. Within one month, they had enrolled 110 members with 23 yachts. The Clubhouse on Marblehead Neck was completed in 1881.
From the beginning, the Club became a leader in yacht racing with Puritan, Mayflower, and Volunteer, all flying Eastern colors, successfully defeating their British challengers in the America’s Cup in 1885, 1886, and 1887, respectively. The Eastern has hosted a multitude of local, national, and international sailing events from the Sonder class regattas that preceded WWI to the competitive one-design and PHRF races of today, including the Etchells Worlds, Star Worlds, IOD Worlds, Olympic Class Regattas, Viper 640 North Americans, Sonar North Americans, Shields Nationals, and the Soling North Americans, a preliminary race for the ’96 Olympics. In 1994 the club received the coveted St. Petersburg Trophy, awarded for the Race Committee’s outstanding management of the Star North Americans. In 2011 the Club was named Yacht Club of the Year by Mass Bay sailing for race management on national and local events including the J105 North American Championship, the Etchells North Americans, and the IOD Worlds.
A visit to the Eastern is a walk through yachting history, from the glorious days of the huge racing yachts to the present-day streamlined one-designs. Nearly 130 years of yachting history resides here. Throughout the Clubhouse, you can find trophies and medals marking the Club’s illustrious history.
This article was syndicated from BLUE PLANET TIMES